Bleak House was built in 1860, and was probably named after Charles Dickens’ 1853 novel. In 1983 it was bought as a burnt out shell and rebuilt in classic Georgian style with innovative practicalities. Now the home of Richard Goddard and Margaret Deutsch, Bleak House stands on 166 acres overlooking the Scotland District and still functions as a working farm. Its antique furnishings go back to the 15th century.
Open House Begins at 1:45pm and Ends at 5:00pm
Go north on Highway 2A. Shortly after the sign to Black Bess Quarry, turn right towards Indian Ground. Go left at the fork in the gully, and right at the T junction. Look for parking signs at the playing field and expect to walk the long driveway in. Those with mobility problems may be dropped off at the house.